Forums
× Planing a Trip

Visiting California from Toronto

More
7 years 4 months ago #107 by MichaelAngelo
Hello everybody!

I'm on a family vacation in California from Toronto, Ontario. I've been wanting to catch and release a golden trout for a while, and I finally find myself with the opportunity to pursue one.

We will be heading to Visalia on August 16. I know of golden trout being caught on the east side of the mountains, but haven't heard any reports on the west side of the mountains. Apparently, most of them are now hybrids with non-native browns and rainbows.

If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful! My goal is to catch any of the three varieties of golden trout, as long as they're pure bread.

Thank-you for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #109 by glapolla
Kennedy meadows(above Kernville) has Goldens in Fish Creek www.tucalifornia.org/cgtic/lilkern-gtic.htm

Greg
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by glapolla.

More
7 years 4 months ago #110 by MichaelAngelo
Thanks Greg! Much appreciated :).

Have you fished those waters? Could you recommend certain fly patterns you think would work?

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #111 by glapolla
I was there 2 weeks ago. Elk Hair Caddis and Griffiths Gnat sizes 18 and 20 were the ticket. Most were in the 4 to 6 inch range. A few were caught that were 9-10 inches.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by glapolla.

More
7 years 4 months ago #112 by glapolla
here is an average one:

More
7 years 4 months ago #114 by MichaelAngelo
Fantastic! Any idea where I could get my hands on 18/20 size flies? I looked at a Bass Pro Shop and they only had 16 as the smallest.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds