A partnership between CA Department of Fish and Wildlife, Deep Creek Fly Fishers, and Trout Unlimited to better protect Southern California’s freshwater fisheries.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- Southern California in "extreme" drought for 4 consecutive years
- Headwater streams running dry
- Many fish populations have no refugia left
California Department of Fish and Wildlife(CDFW) needs our help!
- Southern California (Region 6) largest in the state
- Only 1 freshwater fisheries biologist for the entire region
Region 6 largest in the state
- ~45,000 sq miles (28% of the state)
- 78% is public lands
- Includes San Bernardino County - largest county in the nation
- Major waterways - Colorado and Santa Ana
- Large diverse fish assemblage
- 1 wild trout biologist (out of Coleville)
- 2 reservoir biologists<
- 2-3 other staff that deal with fish issues
- Gather data on streams that would otherwise not be surveyed at all
- Illustrate that there are trout populations in the San Bernardino and San Jacinto Mountains that warrant a local CDFW freshwater fisheries biologist to help manage and protect
Download the Angler Drought Monitoring Region 6 Introduction
Download the Angler Drought Monitoring Training
Download the Angler Drought Monitoring Datasheet